Marple Sports

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

PECO Rate Increase

So I'm sure most of you saw my Facebook post about my electric bill being much more than an I had anticipated so I decided to investigate. PECO is saying my actual usage is twice what it was last year at this time...infact, every month this year it has been twice what it was the year before. My husband and I are now checking our home to find out what the cause might be. While I was at PECO's website, I decided to check up on the rate increase scheduled for January of 2011. Here is what it says on their site.

"PECO has requested Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission approval to increase electric delivery rates and natural gas delivery rates beginning January 1, 2011. The first electric delivery rate request since 1989 and only the second natural gas delivery rate request in 20 years, the increases will ensure PECO is able to continue to meet customer demand and ensure the safe and reliable delivery of electricity and natural gas."

Here is a stat they give as well "In the average home, 75 percent of electricity used to power home electronics is consumed while the products are turned off. Many appliances continue to draw a small amount of power when they are switched off. These “phantom” loads occur in most appliances that use electricity, such as VCR’s, televisions, stereos, computers, and kitchen appliances."

While we are still looking into the specific cause of our power being so high. There were a few tips, an e-engery audit you can do on your house and a few other resources that you might want to check into before January of 2011. Let me know how it works for you!!!
PECO Customer Education for locations.

1 comment:

  1. I can't figure out this PECO stuff. The distribution and transmission rate caps expired in 2006 and they just went up. For instance for transmission;any usage under 500 KWH (kilowatt hours) is $.0055. Over 500 KWH it's .0064.
    Supposedly the "Generation charges" caps won't expire until January 1, 2011. But now my bill says Generation charges < 500 KWh $.061 and any over 500 KWH $.0681 per KWH.
    Isn't that a rate increase? And before the caps expire?
    Anybody have a clue here? Curious minds would like to know how PECO got away with this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...