Marple Sports

Thursday, November 8, 2012

My newest breakfast item-Green Smoothies!

Recently while checking out Pinterest, I started noticing everyone posting smoothie recipes.  It seems easy enough but really, would my kids drink it too?  Making it for everyone is pretty easy and we start off the day with a dose of fruits & veggies...I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor but that seems like a good idea!  You can change the recipe to fit things your family likes or doesn't like too---so it works really well.

My kids drink a smoothie about this size.
The main recipe we use:

  • 2-3 handfuls of spinach
  • milk (depending on how thick you want it, add more or less milk)
  • 1-2 apples sliced, not peeled, the peel has all the good stuff.  (Google it if you don't believe me)
  • Strawberries
  • 1-2 bananas 
  • orange optional
Between each fruit or veggie, you have to blend, blend, blend.  My kids and I like this smoothie with 3 bananas, no orange, my husband doesn't like banana so he gets 1 and an small orange when I make him one.

So I made it this morning for my husband and if he drank it all, he had 3 handfuls of spinach, milk, 1 apple, a handful of strawberries, 1 banana and an orange by the time he got to work.  Things to note, this smooth looks gross.  It is green, people don't like green things.  It is also a little chunky & not really smooth.  You're going to have some chunks because you left the apple skins on and used the spinach.  But you're getting lots of good for you foods in one big drink!

Do you have a smoothie that you drink?  I'm looking for a good one with more veggies!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds similar to a smoothie I sometimes make (spinach with a lot of fruit), but I also usually add a little bit of honey

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having trouble converting the kids to green smoothies but they love fruit smoothies that include things they never eat otherwise. This weekend's was strawberries, pineapple, and a lot of frozen mango, with a Chobani someflavor and OJ base. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...