I'm sure by now, most of you know I'm Ohio and as a kid we made buckeyes (as in our state tree and the OSU buckeyes). The real buckeyes are a nut that you can't eat but these are a peanut butter/chocolate ball of yum!
Disclaimer, this is not a really good for you recipe but if you like peanut butter cups...these are so much better!!!
2 cups creamy peanut butter, (not all-natural)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar ( I usually use a little less, but you have to have enough to make everything stick together!)
2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
Combine peanut butter & butter in a bowl & stir until creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar until the dough starts to "stick". You'll be rolling them into balls so they need to stick together but not to your hands. Once you have a dough consistency, roll them into 1 inch balls & place on wax paper in the freezer until firm. (about 30-40 minutes usually works)
Melt chocolate & vegetable shortening in a double boiler or microwave right before you take the peanut butter balls out of the freezer. Use a tooth pick to dip the peanut butter balls in the chocolate, leaving a small spot of peanut butter on top to keep the buckeye look. Once they're dipped, place them back in the freezer or fridge until you're ready to eat them.
*My note: If you're going to make these, I also purchase pretzels and small cookies to dip because there is always left over chocolate that you can use to make a nice holiday treat.
How many does this recipe make?
ReplyDeleteI think it makes about 50-60 depending on the size of the ball. We usually double recipe to make sure we have enough...they're very popular!
ReplyDeleteYou had me at the chocolate and peanut butter - oh, my! I'll have to make these! I wonder if I can squeeze these into our cooking making session on Thursday. They would be such a great dessert for Lizzie's birthday party.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Buckeyes! Thanks for this recipe. I've always relied on others to put a few on a cookie exchange plate, but I may need to make some for our own family to devour.
ReplyDeleteThere are what I'm making for my neighborhood exchange. My sister is driving up from DC this weekend and we're planning to make hundreds of them!
ReplyDeleteI love buckeyes too. I am thrilled to have found this website called Delaware county moms. I here up on Brookhaven and still miss PA.!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for beeing you
ReplyDelete